Biotechnologists use biological organisms to develop or make innovative products designed to improve health, food, and the world around us.
As a biotechnologist, you are involved in manipulating living organisms or their components to design or enhance vaccines, medicines, energy efficiency or food productivity and safety.
You’ll study the genetic, chemical and physical attributes of cells, tissues and organisms in order to develop new technologies, processes and products that will improve the quality of human life.
Biotechnology is a big term that includes a multiple of fields. Let us understand what they are.
Types of biotechnologist include:
- Medical and health
- Plant biotechnology
- Marine and aquatic biotechnology
You would usually specialize in one area of biotechnology and move in your career.
Among the major streams of biotechnology, Plant Biotechnology has shown tremendous growth over the last few decades and helping to confront daunting food challenges in developing countries like India. Thus it is evident that your career after MSc Plant Biotechnology will surely be bright with numerous Msc Plant Biotechnology Jobs waiting to be filled!
Plant biotechnology is being used in improving crop yields and increasing plants quality, resistance to insects, disease and drought, preventing and treating animal disease, and developing better ways of processing foods.
Biotechnology is being utilized to resolve problems related to agricultural production.
- To upgrade the nutritional content of foods like producing plants offering antioxidant-rich food
- To elevate and stabilize yields by producing genetically modified plant species
- To expand pest resistance in plants
- To enhance resistance against abiotic stresses like drought and cold
- To increase disease resistance in plants
- To accelerate the breeding programs for plants.
Tools implemented in Plant biotechnology
- Traditional plant breeding methods like mutational breeding and establishment of pure lines
- Tissue culture and micro propagation
- Molecular breeding or marker-assisted selection
- Genetic engineering and development of genetically modified species
- Molecular Diagnostic Tools
- These techniques allow scientists to locate and map genes, find their functions, make gene selection, and perform gene transfer techniques.
Eligibility for admission to course
The general requirement is graduation in science stream related to or equivalent to life sciences from any registered University.
After 12th grade you either appear in biotechnology or plant biotechnology.
Then you can do MSc or MTech in plant biotechnology from a recognized university.
You’ll need to have:
- An aptitude for bioscience with the ability to solve social problems
- An enquiring mind and the ability to work with abstract concepts
- Patience, and the ability to work methodically and meticulously when following scientific techniques and company procedures
- Good hand-eye coordination and the ability to use technical equipment with accuracy
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- The ability to analyses and interpret statistical and technical data
- The initiative to work well as both part of a team and independently
- Good computer skills to record data and write scientific reports.
Universities / Colleges offering plant biotechnology
Here are some suggestive list of universities and other institutes offering Masters in plant Biotechnology:
- TERI School of Advanced Studies; New Delhi
- Banaras Hindu University; BHU, Varanasi Uttar Pradesh
- University of Agricultural Sciences, Bangalore
- University of Agricultural Sciences; Dharwad, Karnataka
- University of Horticultural Sciences (UHS), Bagalkot, Karnataka
- Mahatma Gandhi Mission Institute of Biosciences and Technology; Aurangabad, Maharashtra
- University of Hyderabad; Andhra Pradesh
- Mar Athanasios College for Advanced Studies; Kerala
- Maharaja Co-Education College of Arts and Science College; Tamil Nadu
- Thiruvalluvar University, Tamil Nadu
- Punjabi University; Patiala Punjab
- Sam Higgin bottom Institute of Agriculture Technology and Sciences – SHIATS; Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh
- Indian Agricultural Research Institute (IARI); New Delhi
- Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) conducts ICAR AIEEA (All India Entrance Examination exam) to shortlist aspirants for admission in undergraduate, postgraduate, and doctoral programs in agriculture and allied sciences.
The job opportunities can be found in the fields of agribusinesses and governmental and non-governmental organizations.
Reputed Institutes like IARI, ICAR offer various positions like Junior or senior research fellow to postgraduates with plant sciences.
You can take jobs in research labs in the private and industrial.
You can also pursue a doctorate in the same, following fellowship programs offered by government bodies like CSIR, UGC, DBT /DST, or internal fellowships offered by several universities.
Academic institutes are always open to offer the lectureship.
Certainly, the agriculture-based Industries, food industries, beverage industries will be offering you job prospects.
Chemical Industries also offers employment for plant biotechnologists.
Aquaculture Industries may also provide openings to plant techniques for expertise.
Many Pharmaceutical Companies that manufacture and process plant-based products are the employers of plant biotechnologists.
You can work as a:
- Research Associate
- Lecturer or Professor
- Sales Manager
- Quality Analyst
- Plant Breeder
- Environment Specialist
India primarily being an agriculture-based country but we do traditional farming, small landholdings, and the existence of conventional crop production methods, poor soil conditions, disease and pest events, impulses of the weather or frequent natural disasters results don’t able to increase production.
Due to the increasing population, the demands of food grain production in the near future will increase. So passing the responsibilities over the skilled hands of plant biotechnologists increases the opportunities in India as well as abroad. Make a choice as a plant biotechnologies and give your contribution to a growing nation.